Login failure after restart. Every time.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 05:35:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer at acm.org> wrote:
> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> The Xorg logs are too big for this email list, so they are in pastebin:
>>     http://pastebin.com/38syicdp  is Xorg.0.log
>>     http://pastebin.com/NgxzkSia is Xorg.0.log.old
>>
>> The .xsession_errors is below.  There seem to be several things going
>> wrong, so I'm not sure which ones are caused by others.
>
> The messages in .xsession_errors all seem to be from applications
> complaining that the X server has died.
>
> And sure enough, your Xorg.0.log.old has
>
>    Fatal server error:
>    Failed to submit batchbuffer: No space left on device
>
> That's probably the thing to key off of for further research.  Googling
> for "Failed to submit batchbuffer" shows many hits.
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1413061 explains what the
> message refers to, and it links to
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze, which looks useful.

It would look more useful if I were actually experiencing a freeze.
I'm not.  To repeat: when I reboot, the first X gnome login aborts
during the playing of the welcome sound, and takes me back to the
login screen.  Almost always the subsequent identical login works
fine.  Once I had to try three times, I think.  All operations after
that are normal.

Judging from the help in the indicated thread, it may be time for a bug report.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD