sudo: unable to resolve host (FQDN)

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sat Mar 24 20:46:14 UTC 2012

thufir wrote:

> After looking over the man page and the google, it's less clear than
> when I started.
>
> In any event, I'm trying to setup an FQDN as so:
>
> https://gist.github.com/2186508
>

> what I'm getting is that inn2 won't install correctly and that sudo
> gives an error (warning?) sudo: unable to resolve host dur.
>

> My reading of man pages was to change the hostname in /etc/hosts and
> reboot, but obviously that's incorrect.   Aside from using the
> hostname command, what's required here?

To make Sudo stop complaining, your hostname *and* FQDN should be listed
in /etc/hosts:

127.0.1.1 dur.bounceme.net dur

I don't know inn2 well enough to know what it's trying to do, but that
may help (though I see this is how it was configured before). Sudo will
only be warning; it'll carry on even if it can't resolve its hostname.

--
Avi