Motherboard change in 11.04

franz.reitinger franz.reitinger at htl-wels.at
Sat Mar 24 16:20:24 UTC 2012

Basically the Linux-kernel uses pre-compiled modules implementing the
device drivers. During the boot sequence the kernel tries to identify
all the different hware-components which are hopefully supported by one
of the modules. Swapping the motherboard should work, however some small
adaption may be necessary.

To back up the data I would swap the motherboard & boot the system
using Knoppix or a Debian/Ubuntu life CD. Using Knoppix you can mount
your hdisks or USB-disks to back up your data. Basically Linux will not
destroy data but if the the necessary device driver is not
available/found you cannot start the system.

/franzR

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:59:50 +0100, Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Am 23.03.2012 17:04, schrieb compdoc:
>>> my current motherboard seems to have failure in the sata handling
>>> (increasing numbers of CRC errors on all disks).
>> What if your power supply was the problem? Don't stop with just a
>> new
>> motherboard...
>>

> Disks and cables were changed, the power supply is the next step if
> the
> motherboard wasn't the problem.
>
> My primary concern is: What happens to my data/os when it is started
> up
> with a new motherboard/processor/onboard-graphics?
>
> Reinhard

/*
 * Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).