Login failure after restart. Every time.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:00:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 23/03/12 19:13, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I just checked 'man fsck' and there is no "-f" parameter/[switch] for
>>> fsck.
>>>
>>> There is "-r" but no "-f".
>>>

>>> BC
>>
>> You have to read quite carefully to get it and be familiar with the
>> filesystem-specific options for your filesystem.  Since the -f option
>> is not recognized by fsck proper, it is passed on the the actual
>> filesystem-specific executable.  For most filesystems, it's a
>> force-flag that makes fsck.??? do a full check.
>

> I see.
>
> What you are trying to say is that it is an undocumented "feature".

I am not.  Not at all.

>From output of "man fsck":
       fs-specific-options
              Options  which  are  not  understood  by  fsck are
passed to the filesystem-specific checker.
              These arguments must not take arguments, as there is no
way for fsck to be able  to  properly
              guess which arguments take options and which don't.

              Options  and  arguments which follow the -- are treated
as file system-specific options to be
              passed to the file system-specific checker.

              Please note that fsck is not designed to pass
arbitrarily complicated options to  filesystem-
              specific  checkers.   If you're doing something
complicated, please just execute the filesys‐
              tem-specific checker directly.  If you pass fsck some
horribly complicated option  and  argu‐
              ments,  and it doesn't do what you expect, don't bother
reporting it as a bug.  You're almost
              certainly doing something that you shouldn't be doing with fsck.

It seems to me that "-f" is simple enough.  I've been using it since I
started with real AT&T SysV Unix at home around 1985, when there was
just one executable and only one filesystem.

>From output of "man fsck.ext4" (/sbin/fsck.ext4, identical to /sbin/e2fsck):
       -f     Force checking even if the file system seems clean.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD