Login failure after restart. Every time.

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 23 12:58:00 UTC 2012

On 23/03/12 19:24, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Ric Moore<wayward4now at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 03/23/2012 01:33 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>
>>> following which you can do either F7 or "init 5" and login into your
>>> operating system.
>>>
>> I didn't think we had those run levels with Debian?? Ric
> I didn't think so either, so I didn't try that.  Without single-user
> mode, I was unable to remount RO.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Ubuntu

Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) and later contain Upstart as a replacement for
the traditional init-process, but they still use the traditional init
scripts and Upstart's SysV-rc compatibility tools to start most services
and emulate runlevels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Runlevels

> <peeve>Side note: even when that was possible, IIRC most systems
> required you to log in as root.  That's one of the places where
> Ubuntu's no-root-pw policy gets you in trouble.  That and any attempt
> to fix things when booting fails.  Try the recovery startups in GRUB
> for instance.</peeve>

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/enable-and-disable-ubuntu-root-password.html

BC

--
Wife sent me to the doctor to get the pills for me to have an erection.
When I came back I gave her the packet of slimming pills.