Login failure after restart. Every time.

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 23 05:33:45 UTC 2012

On 23/03/12 15:18, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 23/03/12 14:01, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>
>> wrote:
>>> On 23/03/12 12:18, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>>
>>> [pruned]

>>> I guess this was meant for me.
>>>
>>> When you boot the system does the fsck check automatically. The
>>> above does
>>> not really mean anything. I should have been more specific and said
>>> to run
>>> the check MANUALLY at boot time.
>>>
>>> My wife's computer was playing up similarly to what you are
>>> mentioning. At
>>> boot up it also showed that fsck showed no problems. I wasn't
>>> convinced. I
>>> ran e2fsck manually and it found a ton of errors. Which is why I am
>>> suggesting that you run e2fsck manually. If it shows no problems
>>> then you
>>> have not lost anything but gained a bit of knowledge that the
>>> problem lies
>>> elsewhere. And when you run e2fsck do NOT use the "-p" parameter.
>>>

>>> BC
>> I booted from a live disk and ran it manually.  How else could I
>> insert the -f switch?
>> I'm not stupid enough to fsck a mounted disk, and it won't remount RO.
>>
>> ++ kevin
>
> I just checked 'man fsck' and there is no "-f" parameter/[switch] for
> fsck.
>
> There is "-r" but no "-f".
>
> BC

Oh, I forgot to add to the above.

While you certainly cannot usefully perform the check on a mounted
device (you can, but you take your system's life into your own hands),
you can remount it "RO".

To do so, go to a terminal and issue "init 1" as root, login in, and
issue the command:

mount -o remount,ro /dev/sdX          [where X is the partition where
the system is installed]

Then issue the command:

e2fsck /dev/sdX          [but preferably without the '-p' parameter]

and after the check/repair has been done, issue command:

remount -o remount,rw /dev/sdX

(or simply reboot without issuing the above command)

following which you can do either F7 or "init 5" and login into your
operating system.

BC

--
Wife sent me to the doctor to get the pills for me to have an erection.
When I came back I gave her the packet of slimming pills.