I want to customize the results of grub-update

d~_*b theunknownandrew at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:51:06 UTC 2012

On Thursday 22 Mar 2012 7:55:42 PM Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Using grub-update on 10.04.04 LTS on my Gateway laptop, dual booted
> with Win 7, I get a really perverse menu.
> One used to be able to edit those things by hand with legacy GRUB, but
> I don't know how to do it with GNU GRUB.
> What's wrong?  The default is the first item in the menu, with is a
> windows recovery partition that GRUB thinks is Vista.
> What's wrong with that?
> 1) I want the default to be Ubuntu

If you dont wnt to edit the .cfg at location : 'grep -i 'default'
/boot/grub/grub.cfg' file that update-grub creates after every update then you
can always edit the grub defaults file. 'grep -i 'default' /etc/default/grub'

It holds the default values used by update-grub to create the .cfg file

> 2) I don't want to see the recovery partition in position 1; I'd
> prefer it at the end.

To change the order of entries, you can always
1. make a backup of the .cfg and then simply cut & paste the code in the order
you want.
Else try fiddling with the files in 'ls /etc/grub.d/'

> Is there a way to do this so it keeps happening?

However I always say take backups
But if you prefer GUI then here are some pointers
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43471/how-to-configure-the-linux-grub2-boot-
menu-the-easy-way/

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=139643

Good Luck