Login failure after restart. Every time.

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 01:18:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 22 March 2012 21:38, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm running 10.04 LTS on a Gateway laptop, and a new problem started
>> showing up a month or so ago.  I just got un-busy enough to ask about
>> it.
>>
>> Every time I log in after a reboot, the gnome login fails the first
>> time.  It gets as far as playing the login sound, displays what could
>> be a window of log messages for a fraction of a second, and goes back
>> to asking for a login.  The second attempt was always working until
>> this morning, when I had to try three times.  I hope it doesn't keep
>> going up.
>>
>> Any idea how to figure this out?
>
> You could look in syslog and auth.log to see if there are any clues there.

auth.log shows two quick dbus failures  by gnome-keyring-daemon.  A
few seconds later syslog shows pulseaudio failure of XOpenDisplay()
and then failure to load module module-x11-publish with argument
"display=:0.0".   A "failsafe gnome" session fails, but a second
normal attempt succeeds.  An xterm session logs in the first time.
Looks like a gnome problem of some kind,

If I wait 60 seconds before typing anything, it still fails the first
time.  Bouncing on backspace does not help either.

> Is it possible you are starting typing the password too soon?  Try
> waiting a bit to see if it makes a difference.
> Another possibility is that it is picking up a duff character at the
> front for some reason, try hitting backspace a few times before
> starting password.

It shows every sign of having accepted the username/pw pair, but running
into trouble during setup.  Bad login info is very different from this.

Ubuntu is running in an ext4 partition which passes "fsck -f" completely.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD