Login failure after restart. Every time.

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 22:01:51 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 21:38, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running 10.04 LTS on a Gateway laptop, and a new problem started
> showing up a month or so ago.  I just got un-busy enough to ask about
> it.
>
> Every time I log in after a reboot, the gnome login fails the first
> time.  It gets as far as playing the login sound, displays what could
> be a window of log messages for a fraction of a second, and goes back
> to asking for a login.  The second attempt was always working until
> this morning, when I had to try three times.  I hope it doesn't keep
> going up.
>
> Any idea how to figure this out?

You could look in syslog and auth.log to see if there are any clues there.

Is it possible you are starting typing the password too soon?  Try
waiting a bit to see if it makes a difference.
Another possibility is that it is picking up a duff character at the
front for some reason, try hitting backspace a few times before
starting password.

Colin