[MUST WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEO] [SUCCESS REPORT] Xen VGA Passthrough to Windows 8 Consumer Preview HVM Virtual Machine with Xen 4.2-unstable Changeset 25070 and Linux Kernel 3.3.0 in Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 dom0

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Thu Mar 22 20:36:25 UTC 2012

Liam Proven wrote:

> On 22 March 2012 15:22, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
> <ubuntu.fan.2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear compdoc,
> >
> > Xen virtualization is still very much alive! As a matter of fact,
> > Linux Kernel 3.x officially supports Xen Dom0 and DomU.
> >
> > I will not be using Linux KVM so there won't be a Youtube video for
> > it.
>
> Just out of curiosity - why not?
>
> At the end of the day, both do the same thing: a kernel module uses
> the CPU's hardware virtualization extensions to run one OS as a guest
> under the other.

They do the same thing for some definitions of 'same', but not yours :)

While KVM *is* a kernel module that essentially makes the Linux kernel
into a hypervisor, Xen is a layer that sits below the kernel.

When you install Xen onto a Linux machine, that machine becomes a guest
of the Xen host; it becomes the dom0, which is an especially privileged
guest, but it is still running atop Xen and the Linux kernel no longer
has direct access to the hardware.

--
Avi