How to Stop lightdm Display Manager and X.org X Server in UBUNTU 11.10 and Unload nouveau Kernel Module? (Xen VGA Passthrough)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:15:09 UTC 2012

On 21 March 2012 04:18, Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
<ubuntu.fan.2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I stop lightdm display manager and X.org server in Ubuntu 11.10 and
> unload the nouveau vga driver?
>
> I can certainly run "sudo killall lightdm" and of course lightdm and X.org X
> server will be terminated successfully, but I cannot force nouveau vga
> driver to unload at all. It always say nouveau module is in use even if I
> use "sudo modprobe --force --remove nouveau".
>
> I need to unload the following kernel modules for successful Xen VGA
> passthrough.
>
> rmmod nouveau
> rmmod ttm
> rmmod drm_kms_helper
> rmmod drm

Ah, dammit, this is annoying. I have done this, but it was very tricky
& I did not keep notes. I am not sure I can remember exactly.

Have you tried blacklisting the modules so they do not load?

Or starting in single-user mode, remounting root RW and removing them then?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884