broken GNOME requires openbox

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 05:48:30 UTC 2012

For some reason GNOME, GNOME classic and GNOME classic (no effects) is
broken for one particular user.  The panels don't load correctly, so
there's no way to logout.  (At first I used REISUB, but then thankfully
found that you can enable ctrl-alt-backspace to kill xwindows:
http://www.ghacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/gnome_x_server.png, glad
to see that back.)

I've tried to get used to GNOME/openbox, but this (older) system gets
just a little bogged down by the odd panel.  So, while I have LXDE and
XFCE, I'd like to go back to GNOME classic (no effects).

'Creating a panel in an empty desktop

Right click in the desktop and create a launcher to execute "gnome-
panel". '

http://live.gnome.org/GnomePanel says:

However, I was looking for something like "panel1.txt" or something along
those lines, but nothing in:

thufir at dur:~$
thufir at dur:~$ ll .g
.gconf/          .gnome2/         .gstreamer-0.10/ .gtkrc-2.0
.gem/            .gnome2_private/ .gtk-bookmarks   .gvfs/
thufir at dur:~$

Also, I suppose this might happen again.  Why would a panel sort of get
caught in a loop and not load, but nothing else would work either?
However, the account works fine with GNOME/openbox.

-Thufir