underclocking or CPU frequency scaling

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 14:17:28 UTC 2012

On 17 March 2012 23:48, thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:12:12 +0800, Choon Lin wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>

>> Yeah, it's just that sometimes I have long compiles which peg the CPU
>> and
>>> bring the temp high.  You're right about the hardware solution, I was
>>> just wondering if there was a way to throttle a particular process.
>>>

>> Are you referring to using certain cores or CPUs for a particular
>> process? You can modify the kernel to achieve that.
>

> motherboard:  SiS-661GX
> CPU:          Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
>
> Compiling ruby, in particular.  (I can't get RVM to integrate with tk
> properly, so have recompiled a bit.)  Also, for some reason thunderbird
> pegs the CPU when downloading messages.  Plus, the odd flash website
> (flash is such a hog it's absurd).  Generally, the CPU is at ten percent
> or so, or even less.
>
> Since it's a single-core, regular type, old CPU I don't think the
> hardware is capable of the throttling you mention, though.
>

> -Thufir

Obviously the hardware resolution is always preferable. If that fails
I think what you're looking for is called "CPULIMIT" -
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/cpulimit.1.html

I've used it in the past and it always seemed to do what I needed it
to, simple yet effective. If you're looking at using it more regularly
than just here and there you might find the following forum post
useful - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=992706

--
Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)