sudo symbolic link between directories

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:05:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:42:25 +0000, thufir wrote:

> To make a symbolic link between directories

Well, I guess it's not possible to link two existing directories:

"Just to clarify: I don't know of any filesystems where you can make
something that is both a directory and a symlink (I don't think it's
possible at all)..."

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9277235/unix-symlink-in-directories-
when-the-directory-is-created-and-when-is-not

So, I don't understand, then, what these directions mean:

"Create as administrator (sudo) one link in /usr/bin to the command that
you'd like to call (for example with8.5 and tclsh8.5). One time that you
had create the links you can run directly tclsh8.5 or wish8.5 in one
terminal."

http://community.activestate.com/node/7489

I suppose the question is how to put the contents of /opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/
bin/ into /usr/bin, yet it doesn't seem that any of the four forms for
linking support that functionality, as a link is a file and not a
directory.

Just create a whole bunch of links to files in /opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/bin/?
That seems a bit off, there must be a better way.