max volume setting won't "stick"

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 17 06:05:05 UTC 2012

On 17/03/12 08:02, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 02:21:22PM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 03/16/2012 08:00 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
>>> Hopefully someone out there can save me a bit of searching time:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu 10.10, the sound applet on the task bar. If I open the "sound
>>> preferences" dialogue, I see the output level is at about 60%. The
>>> applet itself, and all other applications, treat that as the maximum
>>> volume. That is, the most I can get out of my computer is about 60% of
>>> the maximum volume I know it is capable of.
>>>
>> Use alsamixer first! pavucontrol second.
> That is a strange suggestion.
>
>> Pulse merely sits on top of
>> what alsa is set to. If you set alsamixer to 50%, pulse will show
>> 100% of of what is actually 50%. This should fix it for you. Ric
> I've a feeling it won't, if the issue is what I understood it to be
> (PA's software amplification to 150% can't be enabled with alsamixer).
>
> Marius Gedminas

Oh dear, oh dear :-( .

*YOU* are the one having a problem. YOU are being given *good* *advice*
- but which you, as the know-all, consider to be "a strange suggestion".

Next time you have a problem and ask for help I certainly won't try and
help you - you can go and jump.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli