max volume setting won't "stick"

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Mar 16 17:49:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:00:10PM +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> Hopefully someone out there can save me a bit of searching time:
>
> Ubuntu 10.10, the sound applet on the task bar. If I open the "sound
> preferences" dialogue, I see the output level is at about 60%.

Is there a little mark under it?  That's the 100% volume mark.

This dialog lets you turn the volume beyond 100% (by telling PulseAudio
to amplify the sound in software, which can cause clipping and loss of
quality).

All the other controls (such as volume keys etc.) limit the volume to 100%.

> In short, the problem is not that I can't get a high volume, it is that
> the setting for high volume won't "stick".

If you need this software amplification, use the sound preferences to
enable it and then don't touch the volume.

Marius Gedminas
--
"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."