breaking the threads...

Thu Mar 15 07:02:30 UTC 2012

Am 15.03.2012 03:25, schrieb Basil Chupin:
> On 15/03/12 01:59, Alexander Skwar (ML) wrote:

>>> first, you need to get out more often as everyone else is correct
>>> and you are wrong.
>>
>> Actually, that's not a correct statement. At least Liam and Basil
>> are on a wrong track.
>

> Read this:

I did. Did you?

> QUOTE
>
> Threading
>
> Many users read mailing lists by the thread. This means that when
> reading, emails are placed in a tree structure according to the subject.

That's wrong. Mails are threaded, according to In-Reply-To and/or
References headers, and only if that's not present, according to the
subject.

> For an example, see this page . To permit this, email clients identify
> messages by a special hidden 'header' of the message. To assist those
> who read mailing lists in this way:
>
> Try to ensure that you use an email client which retains this 'hidden'
> part of the message. For example, avoid using Outlook Express.
>
> When replying to messages, use your email client's Reply To List
> function, rather than 'Reply' or 'Reply To All'. This is Ctrl + L in

Well, if it has a Reply-To-List function, then, yes, of course, it
should be used. Otherwise, I'd think that "Reply-To-All" is the
function to use.

> When starting a new subject, do not reply to a previous email from the
> mailing list. If you do, your email may form part of a previous thread.
> To start a new subject, use a clean email.

Depends on what you want.

Alexander
--
☄ Google+ ↣ http://plus.skwar.me                   ☄