breaking the threads...

Wed Mar 14 20:38:26 UTC 2012

Hi

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 20:56, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 03/14/2012 03:13 PM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 17:38, Dave Woyciesjes<woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>
>>  wrote:

>>>        The point of threading is to group messages that relate to a
>>> specific
>>> subject. Yes, the changed _used_ to have something to do with the
>>> original,
>>> but the key word/phrase there is 'used to'.
>>

>> Yep, "used to" is the key. That's why it's correct to change the
>> subject and that's why MUAs keep the threading intact, by not
>> removing the headers used for threading (In-Reply-To and/or
>> References).
>>

>        So, then, pray tell, if a new message used to have something to do
> with a specific thread, but no longer does; Why would you want them to be
> connected?

Why should I tell you this? I didn't ask for this. So, why would
you want them to be connected?

>>>        Why would you want a message about KDE in your grouping of
>>> messages
>>> about Acrobat?
>>

>> If it relates, then that's exactly the reason.
>

>        If it relates, then the Subject shouldn't (need) to be changed.

>From time to time, it should. The subject of a discussion may change.

>>>        Sounds like you have an uncommon definition of threading.
>>

>> If *you* say so…
>
>        And just about everyone else here.

Nope.

>>>        Hmmm, now this _is curious. You&  MR say he is following the
>>> common
>>>
>>> etiquette; yet pretty much everyone else here says our method is
>>> following
>>> the common etiquette....
>>

>> Indeed. This _is_ curious. Please also keep in mind, how
>> the mail clients actually act. They do *not* remove the
>> "threading headers". Especially for that reason.
>

>        Yes, I've known for a while now that mail clients don't remove
> threading info. That's the whole reason behind the idea of starting a new
> thread for a different topic.

Yep. For a different topic. No argument here. Sometimes, people
may not want to start a new thread. There are reasons for and
reasons against doing so. It pretty much depends on the context
or intention.

> Is this what banging your head on a brick wall feels like?

Aha. If _you_ say so.

Alexander
--
↯    Lifestream (Twitter, Blog, …) ↣ http://alexs77.soup.io/     ↯