What's supposed to replace menus?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 14 16:00:19 UTC 2012

On 14 March 2012 15:29, Alexander Skwar (ML)
> Am 14.03.2012 16:28, schrieb Dave Woyciesjes:
>

>> I'm not sure if this applies to Dash & Unity, but in Gnome3/Shell, the
>> apps have, meta tags (?) associated with them, so if you type a word
>> related to what you are looking for, it should come up anyway. E.g.
>> typing rdesk shows Remotedesktop client, even though rdesk is not in the
>> app name...
>

> Hm. Don't know if it's really the case, but the executable
> of the App "Remote Desktop" is called "rdesktop".

In the Dash in Precise if I type "remote" or vinagre (which I think is
the executable in Ubuntu) then I see Remote Desktop Viewer.  Also
typing "browser" shows both Chromium and Firefox.  So provided the
meta data is setup correctly then it is not necessary to know the name
of an app, just an idea about what it is supposed to do.

Colin