breaking the threads...

Wed Mar 14 15:50:41 UTC 2012

Hello
Am 14.03.2012 16:38 schrieb "Dave Woyciesjes" <woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>:

> On 03/14/2012 10:59 AM, Alexander Skwar (ML) wrote:

>>> first, you need to get out more often as everyone else is correct
>>> and you are wrong.
>>

>> Actually, that's not a correct statement. At least Liam and Basil
>> are on a wrong track.
>

>        Really? Where & how?

You know perfectly well where.

>>> second, and more critically, you seem to be taking an amazingly
>>> obstinate position on something that would be trivially easy to
>>> change. all people are asking you to do is use a new message to start
>>> a new thread.
>>

>> But, if you have a look, he didn't start a new thread! The subject
>> line is supposed to be a brief "overview" of what's in the mail.
>> If the topic (or, maybe we might even call it "subject") changes,
>> it's correct to change the subject contents.
>

>        No, the correct method is: If you are wanting to reply to a
message in a thread, and your reply is taking the discussion to a new
direction necessitating a Subject line change; then the polite & proper
this to do is open a new message window, copy the body contents of what you
are replying to, paste in to the new message window. Then add your reply &
send.

No, that is not correct.

Correct procedure: Change the subject line, but do not produce a new mail.
This way, the threading stays intact. After all, the changed mail used to
have to do something with the previous mail.

The way you suggested makes sure that threading brakes, which is bad.

>> What confuses me - why this "hate"? He's not doing anything
>> wrong! On the contrary, he's completely right!
>>
>> Alexander
>

>        Hate? I see no hate. Just people asking someone to follow the
group's guidelines; and follow common & long standing list-serve etiquette.

Hate was the wrong word.

Point is: people complain, although Mr follows common & long standing
list-serve etiquette. People even suggest to break this etiquette.

Quite simple: if the subject of a sub-thread changes, then change the
subject line. But do Not start a new thread!

He seems to follow this old rule. So please stop moaning.

Thanks.