What's supposed to replace menus?

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 14 15:28:05 UTC 2012

On 03/14/2012 08:03 AM, Patrick Asselman wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:51:55 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

>>> Yep. The thinking is that it's quicker and easier to hit the Windows
>>> key then type a few characters and hit enter than to navigate menus.
>>> Opinions differ but I definitely find it faster and easier.
>>>
>> Rather like the command line in fact! :-)
>>
>> --
>> Chris Green
>
> It's only quicker if you already know what the applications are called,
> i.e. if you use them a lot. Application names often have no relationship
> whatsoever with the task at hand. So you still need a menu structure for
> people who are unfamiliar with the application names. (Why do you think
> the Application Launcher was added to OSX recently, even though
> Spotlight works fine?).
>
> Patrick Asselman

	I'm not sure if this applies to Dash & Unity, but in Gnome3/Shell, the
apps have, meta tags (?) associated with them, so if you type a word
related to what you are looking for, it should come up anyway. E.g.
typing rdesk shows Remotedesktop client, even though rdesk is not in the
app name...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818