changing the subject line

Wed Mar 14 14:49:21 UTC 2012

Am 14.03.2012 15:42, schrieb Liam Proven:
> On 14 March 2012 14:29, Alexander Skwar (ML)
>> Am 14.03.2012 15:18, schrieb Liam Proven:
>>
>>> No, MR, whatever your name is, you are breaking the threads. It is
>>> extremely annoying and I for one am getting very close to kill-filing
>>> you for it.
>>
>> What's annoying? The thread is totally intact and shows
>> up just fine.
>>
>>> You do not get to set or change the rules.
>>
>> He doesn't. And he's not trying to, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>> Play by the rules as they are, or leave the game.
>>
>> He does. What he wrote was correct.
>
> It might do in your chosen MTA. It does not do so in all MTAs and it

MTA?

What does postfix (or sendmail) have to do with that?

Anyway. That's then a fault of the MUA.  If it's not "mailing list
compatible", then that's a pity. FWIW, MUAs are supposed to thread
based on the In-Reply-To and/or References header lines.

> does not do so in my chosen MTA, and I am not about to change MTAs
> just to humour some idiot who insists on breaking the rules of how
> mailing lists work.

Fine. You're not talking about MR then.

> Those rules have been in place since the 1960s,

Yep. It's you and your MUA which breaks the rules.

> since before the Internet was invented, and it is not OK for someone
> to start mucking with them now.

Yep. So, just stop, will you?

> In brief:
>
> * post in text, not HTML or other rich-text formats
> * bottom-quote

Debatable

> * do not change the subject line unless you wish to start a new thread

Wrong

Alexander
--
☄ Google+ ↣ http://plus.skwar.me                   ☄