What's supposed to replace menus?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 14 02:58:53 UTC 2012

On 14/03/12 13:46, Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:23:56 pm Gerhard Magnus wrote:
>> As a newcomer to Ubuntu 11.10 (from Fedora 14, the last of its line to
>> run without problems) I'm still trying to adjust to the Unity desktop.
>> (By the way, is it correct to call Unity a desktop, equivalent to the
>> old Big Two of Gnome and KDE?) I'm getting more comfortable working with
>> that Mac-like bar at the top of my screen and have installed a
>> familiar-looking taskbar (Panel Tint2) at the bottom so I can easily
>> switch between windows. But the complete absence of menus (except for
>> the short one I get clicking on the upper righthand corner) has me
>> wondering if I'm missing some basic difference between old and new
>> desktops; maybe not as big as a paradigm shift, but still something
>> different about how this sort of interface is supposed to work. Is using
>> some customized version of the panel on the left, or else clicking on
>> the "Dash" button and then typing at least part of the program name
>> supposed to replace familiar menus like "Applications", "Places", and
>> "System"? What was the motivation here for getting rid of menus? I can
>> live without them, but I'd sure like to know why they left in the first
>> place!
> I don't know what the motivation was but so far I have lost two of my users
> because of it.  One said, and I quote, "If I have to go through all this crap
> to start a program, I'll just go back to windoze".  So I had to load XP back
> on his computers.  Kinda sucks but I can't blame him.  I doubt I'll get him
> back even after Unity is dumped as he was very upset about it.  I can't think
> of a better way to lose market share than Unity so if that is what is wanted
> they should be very successful.

What I don't understand is why you had to move him back to XP when there
are other sensible Linux distros which use intelligent desktop
environments other than Gnome or unity such as KDE, xfce and others?
Should have shifted him to openSUSE with KDE.

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli