What's supposed to replace menus?

Pastor JW rev.olson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:46:01 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:23:56 pm Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> As a newcomer to Ubuntu 11.10 (from Fedora 14, the last of its line to
> run without problems) I'm still trying to adjust to the Unity desktop.
> (By the way, is it correct to call Unity a desktop, equivalent to the
> old Big Two of Gnome and KDE?) I'm getting more comfortable working with
> that Mac-like bar at the top of my screen and have installed a
> familiar-looking taskbar (Panel Tint2) at the bottom so I can easily
> switch between windows. But the complete absence of menus (except for
> the short one I get clicking on the upper righthand corner) has me
> wondering if I'm missing some basic difference between old and new
> desktops; maybe not as big as a paradigm shift, but still something
> different about how this sort of interface is supposed to work. Is using
> some customized version of the panel on the left, or else clicking on
> the "Dash" button and then typing at least part of the program name
> supposed to replace familiar menus like "Applications", "Places", and
> "System"? What was the motivation here for getting rid of menus? I can
> live without them, but I'd sure like to know why they left in the first
> place!

I don't know what the motivation was but so far I have lost two of my users
because of it.  One said, and I quote, "If I have to go through all this crap
to start a program, I'll just go back to windoze".  So I had to load XP back
on his computers.  Kinda sucks but I can't blame him.  I doubt I'll get him
back even after Unity is dumped as he was very upset about it.  I can't think
of a better way to lose market share than Unity so if that is what is wanted
they should be very successful.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org