kernel 3.0.0-13-generic seems to be last one that works on my ASUS laptop

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Mar 13 15:18:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 12 March 2012 14:58, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Liam Proven wrote:
> >>
> >> .> On 12 March 2012 12:11, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>

> >>   it *appears* that this is the problem:
> >>
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lvm2/+bug/802626
> >
> >  and, sure enough, that was the problem and upgrading to packages
> > from oneiric-proposed solved it.  there is absolutely no way i would
> > have ever figured that out for myself.
>
> Just come back to this list after a couple of days off.
>
> Gosh. Well, I'm glad that you got there, and that my pointer was at
> least of /some/ help!

  well, AFAICT, it wasn't a BIOS issue and it's now impossible to know
if that had any effect as i upgraded the BIOS, that didn't change
anything, then i ran across the udev/lvm2 bug listed above.  so it's
entirely possible that the BIOS upgrade *was* necessary for the bug
solution to work.  hard to say at this point.

> I must admit, I think you're brave to reFlash a BIOS from Linux.
> I've never tried that - I'd use a DOS boot CD/USB stick/etc these
> days, since floppies are disappearing.

  actually, it wasn't reflashing from linux at all.  it involved
download and unzipping the new BIOS file from ASUS, copying it to a
simple, FAT-formatted USB stick, plugging that in, then rebooting.
this ASUS laptop supplies a cool "EasyFlash" utility in BIOS that lets
you scroll through the contents of the USB stick and pick your new
BIOS file.  nicely designed, and it worked flawlessly.  very pleased.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca