DVD file size

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 04:14:16 UTC 2012

I'm making DAR slices with:

dar -c /home/gandalf/Desktop/thufir2012march03 -s 2300M -p -b -z -R /home/
thufir -D

I use 2300MB because dar is so CPU intensive anything larger might cause
overheating on this system.  I'm taking two such files and burning them
to generic DVD-R media via an external DVD+-RW drive.  However, I get a
warning about ISO 9660:

"Empirical tests with a 4.2 GB fragmented file on a DVD media have shown
that Microsoft Windows XP supports this, while Mac OS X (as of 10.4.8)
does not handle this case properly. In the case of Mac OS X, the driver
appears not to support file fragmentation at all (i.e. it only supports
ISO 9660 Level 2 but not Level 3). Linux supports multiple extents.[5]
FreeBSD only shows and reads the last extent of a multi-extent file.
[citation needed]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660#The_2.2F4_GiB_file_size_limit

Although I'm still looking into that.  Any experience with that 2GB limit?

thanks,

Thufir