Decrypting an encrypted partition?

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Mon Mar 12 17:21:38 UTC 2012

Hello,

I posted a few days a go a question about upgrading a netbook with Ubuntu
Oneiric that was installed with the encryption checked.

I forgot to mention that I usually do not use the upgrade route, I do a
fresh install, while choosing to manually patition the drive and actually
only format the root (/) partition and configure the mount points for the
rest.

I'd like to upgrade to 12.04 by de-cryting the partitions, installing a
fresh 12.04 and then manually encrypt the partitions using a key file.

I'd appreciate any pointers for any of these stages, but the most important
is the de-crypting of the existing partitions.

Thanks!
Amichai.