Root password

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Mon Mar 12 16:21:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

Is there any to reset the root password when the original root password
has been forgotten?  One of my friends has Ubuntu an her computer and
was trying to change her user password.  She got the root and user
passwords mixed up and somehow changed the root password instead.  She
doesn't know what she did and the important thing is that the root
password is lost.

Of course, the root password is needed to install applications, run sudo
and to di upgrades.  I know that there is no way to recover the password
but is there a way to reset the root password without knowing what it
is.  Without it, the computer can't be upgraded.  I could try to
reinstall Ubuntu but many of her settings would be lost and that would
be a PITA as well.

Bill Stanley