SCSI error on write

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 12 13:00:21 UTC 2012

On 12/03/12 22:48, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:08:58 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>>> gnomebaker output (good for one month):
>>> http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1515313
> [...]
>> Why do you think that these are errors?
> Gnomebaker says "SCSI error on write", and the resulting disc is
> unreadable in either optical drive; the other info was just what I know
> about that particular drive.

My apologies - I did not not notice the screengrab in your post.

I am a bit puzzled by you mentioning that you are using gnomebaker and
yet the log in that screengrab is showing brasero.

However, how old is this /dev/sr1? It only writes to CDs and not DVDs as
well which indicates, to me at least, that it is pretty old.

Have you cleaned the laser lately (using a special CD designed for this
task)?

Have you tried using the slowest possible write speed (a high speed
often creates coasters on some writers)?

Are you using a reliable brand of CD discs?

(I must admit that I have never used brasero - well, I did try it a
couple of times but gave it up as a bad joke - and always use k3b which
has never failed me yet.)

BC

--
The vulgar crowd always is taken by appearances, and the world consists chiefly of the vulgar.
                    Niccolo Machiavelli