Problems dual booting

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:20:45 UTC 2012

On 12 March 2012 08:42, Mark Panen <mark.panen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had 11.10 installed and working fine except for the Bluetooth and my cell
> phone.
>
> So i installed Windows 7 in a spare partition.
>
> /boot
> /
> /home
> swap
> /windows
>
> fdisk -l shows /dev/sda1 as my boot partition.
>
> Firstly i tried "boot-repair" from the live DVD in all sort of combinations
> but to no avail.
>
> I had to eventually re install Ubuntu.
>
> Running "grub-install /dev/sda1" gives errors and i don't want to run it
> again in case it stuffs something up.
>
> Any ideas to get my Windows in the boot splash?
>
> I can boot Ubuntu no problems.

It should be

grub-install /dev/sda

not

grub-install /dev/sda1

You should be installing to the *disk* not a single partition on that disk.

As for Windows, it will not boot from a secondary (logical) drive
inside an extended partition. It has to have a primary partition for
the bootloader.

You can have a small primary partition for the bootloader and put the
rest elsewhere, like this:

(C:) ( [D:] [/] [/home] [swap] )

or

(C:) ( [/] [/home] [swap] [D:] )

But you can't have:

(/) [ (/home) (swap) (C:) ]

Windows' bootloader can only be installed into the root directory of a
Windows-formatted primary partition. Windows 7, I believe, furthermore
insists that it's an NTFS partition.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884