repeated system freezes starting today- giving up on Ubuntu 11.10

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 09:13:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> altogether.
>>>
>>> I don't think you have ruled out a computer problem yet. The more you
>>> describe the symptoms, the more it does sound like a hardware issue.
>>>
>>> You have to check the SMART data for the hard drive and have a look at:
>>> Reallocated Sector Count, Pending Sector Count, and the Offline
>>> Uncorrectable count. If any of those have counts, especially the Reallocated
>>> Sector Count, the drive is failing. Each time a sector goes bad, the system
>>> will freeze if it's trying to use it.
>>>
>>> Is the laptop overheating? Are there any known incompatibilities with Ubuntu
>>> and your hardware?
>>>
>>> Of course, if nothing is wrong with your hardware, then that leaves
>>> modifications you have done to the system.
>>>
>>> For example, do you always install a proprietary video card driver? (the one
>>> not installed by Ubuntu)
>>>
>>> What tweaks do you do after installing?
>>>

>> Checking disk utility:
>>
>> Reallocated Sector Count,  good
>> Pending Sector Count  n/a
>> Offline  Uncorrectable count. n/a
>>
>> Disk utility says overall health is good.  Self test says ok.
>>
>> Temperature is only 68 C, up to 90 is ok.
>>
>> I know of no incompatibilities.  I do not install a proprietary video card.
>>
>> After installing, other than adding software, I do not recall any
>> other tweaks.  I have removed all add on from the browsers.
>>
>> Not sure if related, but I can not install Ubuntu 12.  It gets to
>> about 30% done and then freezes.  If there were  disk problem, that
>> would explain it.
>>
>> I started with 10.11 on this machine, went to 11.  Problems started
>> with 11.10, lots of niggling issues.  This issue is the most vexing.
>>
>> I am trying Midori to see if it has the same problem as chrome and ff.
>>  FF froze twice yesterday with unresponding script message coming up.
>> Chrome freezes and does not show that message.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> garyk
>

> This may account for installation problem:  When installing with
> accessibility enabled, choosing "manual partitioning" will crash the
> installer. Either choose one of the proposed partitioning schemes or
> start the installer without accessibility support (for example,
> through the live session). (939450)
>
> garyk

I have not been able to make Ubuntu 11.10 stable.  I can not find
anything wrong with my hard disk.  I have switched over to Lubuntu
after considering Mint.  Mint is fine but I like the light in Lubuntu-
fast!  I think it will be reasonably stable.  I have been using Ubuntu
since about 2006.  This is the worst experience I have had.  Only
Windows ME was worse, and not by much, in my experience.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help.   Just too many problems and
not just the one referenced in this thread.  Sound and Flash, for
example, both failed yesterday, both after having worked for months.
And there is a pretty long list in addition to these two.

I will check out Ubuntu 12.  I ran it for a while and it seemed much
much better than 11.10 (so was 11.04).  I can not get it to install.
It hangs at various points depending on how I go about it, including
from a LiveCD.

garyk