Automatically mounting all volumes at boot

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Mar 6 19:31:09 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 01:12 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

> I'm happy enough to do that, but I'd rather have an answer to my
> original, more general question:
>
> Is it possible to have Ubuntu mount all visible filesystems
> automatically on boot?

Possible, yes.  But I can't tell you how off the top of my head and a
quick google search did not find an appropriate script.

And probably not what you want anyhow.

Assuming your typical use case for this disk is to access the contents
via a desktop GUI, you need only modify Ubuntu so that the console user
(that, someone who is logged in from the physical computer
screen/keyboard/mouse rather than network) has permission to mount
internal drives.

<rant>
Unfortunately, gnome, in their infinite wisdom, have long since replaced
the easy to use polkit that had administrative tools to do stuff like
this with an arcane, poorly documented (from a user perspective) tangle
of xml files. </rant>

The easy way (and not entirely correct) is to edit
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy file.

Find the section that starts with <action
id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal">
then change: <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active> to
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

Remove any reference to the fat32 fielsystem in fstab.

Log out and log back in.  You should now be able to access the drive
from Nautilus transparently, just like any other removable drive.

The reason I say this is not quite correct is because the policy file
will be replaced with default any time the policykit package gets
updated.  (hopefully, I would expect that to be rare.).  The proper way
to do this is even  more mind bogglingly ridiculous, and an exersise I
will leave to others (or google) for today.