[ubuntu-users] Command not found

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Tue Mar 6 07:29:16 UTC 2012

 On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 18:11:43 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 09:22 AM, John Sampson wrote:

>> Tried again. Yes, it is necessary.
>>
>>> Perhaps show output from ls Downloads*
>>
>> This gives "ls: Cannot access Downloads*: No such file or
>> directory".
>
> type:
> cd  <hit enter>
> cd Downloads <hit enter>
> Should work as long as you are in your home directory and have a
> directory named "Downloads" <----capital D
> The trailing slash is optional UNLESS you happen to have a file named
> Downloads in the same directory. I betcha that is what is happening.
> :) Ric

 You can't have a file and a directory with the same name in the same
 directory, afaik.
 It could be that there is a file with the same name in another
 directory. If you are not in the directory below Downloads (i.e. ~ )
 then Ubuntu is probably trying to be helpful by finding this Downloads
 you talked about. If there is a file with the same name, it cannot
 change to that directory. If you add the slash it might know to look for
 a directory and maybe it will find the correct directory.

 But this is all highly speculative without some output :-)

 Regards,

 Patrick Asselman