[ubuntu-users] Command not found

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:55:17 UTC 2012

2012/3/5 John Sampson <jrs.idx at ntlworld.com>:
> On the Ubuntu 11.10 desktop I can see a directory "downloads" but anything I
> try in
> the shell in an effort to reach it results in 'No such file or directory".
>
> There is no manual entry for "cd".
>
> I'll stick to Windows.

Of course you do whatever you like. A hint though, is that you
shouldn't expect Ubuntu to be a free version of Windows, because it's
not and it doesn't even want to be. It's different in many aspects (if
it wasn't, there would probably be no point creating it in the first
place – why create something that already exists?). So what you need
to do, is to remove your Windows-glasses and see that different
doesn't necessary mean worse. If something is different in a way that
you find bad, there is usually a reason for it, maybe security, maybe
something else.

Just of curiosity, you mentioned that you only use Ubuntu because of
one program that doesn't run in Windows. What program is that?
I have heard that many people do the opposite: They stick to Windows
because there is no Linux killer app for what they are doing, like
Video editing (real video editing, not the crap available for Linux at
the moment) or some game or something.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ