[ubuntu-users] Command not found

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 5 09:50:28 UTC 2012

hi,
On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 21:34:54 +0000
John Sampson <jrs.idx at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I am new to Ubuntu, being a Windows user. I am accustomed to
> running batch files by typing their names in a shell. When I try
> this in Ubuntu 11.10 there is a 'command not found' error.
> I found that the file has to be in a folder in the path for it to be
> runnable from a shell. I attended to this by copying the file to
> '/usr/bin' and also navigated to '/usr/bin' before tryng to run it.

in ubuntu, if you create /home/$USER/bin this will automatically be in
your executable path on next login. just create this dir and copy your
custom scripts and executables there and you can just execute them like
they were in /bin or in /usr/bin, there is no need to clutter the
system paths with custom binaries.

ciao
	oli