SafeBrowsing Client?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 5 01:11:07 UTC 2012

On 03/04/2012 12:07 PM, Parko wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 01:50:56 +1100, GaryT wrote:
>
>> Hi folks Pray tell, what is a safebrowsing client and what would be a
>> typical association with the big "G".
>>
>> My browser (Firefox) has several safebrowsing URLs in the config file
>> and I fail to see the relationship between that and web searches.
>>
>> Does it identify me as a safe user and it's okay to search for me? OR
>> Could it mean that I've been "had" somewhere along the way?
>> Or, is it simply a means of keeping track of my activities?
>>
>> Does anyone really understand these things?
>>
>> Thanks GaryT
>
> I think its pretty benign.

Really?

> http://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/firefox3_privacy.html

Or pretty much BS debenting upon how you look at it:

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=google.com

Note:
https://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/
<quote>
The Safe Browsing Lookup API has the following drawbacks:

    Privacy: The URL(s) to be looked up are not hashed so the server
knows which URL(s) the API users have looked up
    Response time: Every lookup request will be processed by the Safe
Browsing server and we don't provide any guarantees on lookup response time

In summary, if you are not too concerned about the privacy of the
queried URL(s) and you can tolerate latency induced by a network
request, you may want to use the Safe Browsing Lookup API since it's
much simpler to implement. Otherwise, the Safe Browsing API v2 may be a
better choice for you.
</quote>

And of course those that get caught up in the prop wash...
<https://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/192808/google_safe_browsing_makes_the_innocent_look_guilty.html>

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with Ubuntu & I recommend the
OP check the Mozilla/FF support channels and/or
<https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox>