Installing Ubuntu on a laptop that has Windows 7 and Linux Mint

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at fastmail.us
Fri Mar 2 20:02:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 11:14 -0800, taodoe9.amabel at recursor.net wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Pongo  wrote:
>
> > PartedMagic is a free utility which bundles lots of useful tools, but
> > most importantly the gnome partitioner.  You use it as a live CD or USB
> > to pre-partition your hard disk before installing new operating systems.
> > Highly recommended.
>
> Can't the Ubuntu installer create new partitions and resize existing ones?

Certainly, in fact it uses a version of gparted, but a purpose-built
partitioner is more powerful and (IMHO) less confusing.

Parted Magic also comes with tools for backup, disk testing and lots
more that you don't get with distro installers.  (I have no connection
with them except as a very satisfied user.)  Anyhow, their forums are
very informative and a good place to learn about these issues.  All free
and open, of course.

--
pongo pan
Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:02:22 -0800