Screenshot only shows desktop background or completely black (12.04)

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:32:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Hans Vos <hans at laissezfaire.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to make a couple of screen shots of running applications. When I
> press the print screen button it makes a screen shot sound and I get the
> dialog window for saving the screen shot, but nothing is in it. Previously
> it only showed my desktop background but now it is completely black.
>
> I tried installing another application called Shutter but this program has
> the same behavior. I am running Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS inside a Virtual
> Box environment on a Windows 7 host system. I already asked for some
> support over at Virtual Box but I got referred back to Ubuntu being told
> it must be a guest problem.
>
> I hope somebody can provide a solution for my problem.

Not a solution, but a suggestion at least...

I agree, this is probably because you're running in a VM environment
which is not quite the same as running on bare metal.  Have you
installed the Virtual Box extensions on your Ubuntu VM?  That goes a
LONG way to making the graphics work properly in a VBox VM.

That being said, I have used both the built-in screenshot tool and
shutter for along time on metal and they ahve worked great.  Usually,
when doing screenshots of a VM though, I generally screenshot the
entire VM window instead... but that's Me.