Adding a second monitor

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 01:18:00 UTC 2012

On 06/24/2012 09:28 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I had a total mobo failure about a year ago, and a pretty thorough
> brain transplant performed on an emergency basis by a local computer
> shop.  Thus, I'm unusually vague about what's inside.  I have not
> installed special drivers, just whatever Ubuntu had lying around, nor
> do I recall doing anything with xorg.conf,
> so if I did, it was not memorable.
>
> Here's /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
> # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
> # nvidia-xconfig:  version 270.41.06
> (buildmeister at swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com)  Mon Apr 18
> 15:15:12 PDT 2011

Great, it says you have an nVidia driver installed. So, just look for
your nvidia X-server settings app, that should be in your menu, and use
THAT to set up your dual display. You have to deal with the nVidia
settings using this as it will save the amended xorg.conf file so that
your new settings will work the next time you reboot. With one card, two
monitors, use twinview. Once you see that, it should be a cakewalk. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html