ssh problem

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Jun 20 18:46:56 UTC 2012

Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 2:50:02 AM, Avi wrote:

>> > sshd logs to authlog;
>>
>> I don't seem to have authlog - does that get produced with something I
>> don't have?

> It's at /var/log/auth.log; you should have it on a standard Ubuntu
> install.

I was looking for 'authlog', instead of 'auth.log' - locate DOES find
that. :-) I didn't see anything in auth.log that seemed relevant - a
TON of cron stuff, but little else...

>> > it might be worth setting the log level to 'debug' or running the
>> > client with -vv,
>>
>> What's vv? I don't seem to find what that is...

> It makes ssh print potentially useful debug messages. -v is less
> verbose than -vv, I think there's a -vvv too.

OK - again I misunderstood. I thought vv was perhaps a separate
error-finding shell under which ssh would run, not just an ssh option.
I am now running ssh with the -vv option. vv produces quite a lot of
output. :-) One can use vvv too, but I'm not sure I want to wade
through even more stuff. :-)

SSH seems to do a lot of stuff with channels 1 through 10 - the vast
majority of the log is ssh 'wading through' the many things that are
done on each of these channels. What are these channels, anyway?

Hopefully, that option will give a good clue as to what is going on
when it quits. Thanks for the tip.

>> I get a 'broken pipe' msg that I was interpreting as a disconnect.
>> Terminal still works, though, and I can recover on the CLI.
>>
>> Sometimes it just stops working, with no error msg, as does
>> terminal. If I close terminal it warns me something [presumably
>> ssh] is still running and will be stopped if I exit. I exit and
>> start over, and a new ssh connects to the remote comp OK. Is that
>> also what happens with a disconnect, or is something else going on?

> No, that still sounds like it's just a simple timeout somewhere
> along the way. If you establish an ssh connection to something and
> then pull out the cable or disable WiFi you'll get similar symptoms.

It would seem as though there are different kinds of disconnects -
some produce an error msg and some just hang terminal - two rather
different effects.

Thanks for the help...

--

 rikona