ssh problem

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Jun 20 18:37:42 UTC 2012

Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 2:08:05 PM, Chris wrote:

>> I'd be interested in that script...
>>
> On looking I find it's actually an almost trivial C program, as follows:-

I'm not a C programmer, so for me there isn't any "almost trivial C
program". :-)

I assume that program is 'ka'...

I'm doing port forwarding with ssh. Do I have to be port-specific in
the above pgm to keep the connection alive?

And, thanks much for the script.

> Then in .profile (or .bash_profile) I have:-

>     #
>     #
>     # Run ka (keep alive) if this is a remote ssh login
>     #
>     if [ "$SSH_CLIENT" ]
>     then ka&
>     fi

>> > The symptoms of the firewall dropping the connection were exactly as
>> > you describe, connection stops working but no error message or other
>> > symptoms, just silence.
>>
>> Did terminal stop responding to any input?
>>
> Yes.

Good to know - thanks. I still don't understand why a disconnect
produces two quite different effects. Might it have to do with exactly
how the disconnect happened?

--

 rikona