mount usb: same username different uid: problem

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:16:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 5:36 AM, William Scott Lockwood III
<vladinator at gmail.com> wrote:

>>   > On 18/06/12 16:35, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>   >>>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:19:42 +1000, Basil Chupin
>>   >>
>>   >> > sudo chmod -R u=rwx,g=rwm o= /dev/<USB-device> [ENTER]
>>   >>
>>   >> Right but I consider this solution as being cumbersome
>>   >> especially if there are a lot of files.
>>
>>   > Right..."cumbersome"...
>>
>>   > You only ever need to do it ONCE.
>>
>> No. I need to do this every time I copy from
>>
>> Laptop1-->USB-->Latop2
>>
>> And then when I copy back
>>
>> Laptop2-->USB-->Laptop1
>
> If you make sure your UID is the same on both machines, you shouldn't need
> to do that at all.

Actually, unless this memory stick has been reformatted with a *nix
filesystem, it should not have a UID or username on it at all.  Such
things just don't exist in a fat filesystem, which is what's on all of
them I've ever seen in stores.

So unless it has been reformatted in say ext2, there's something more
you should be telling us.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD