I need the exact command line structure to do a fsck on an external usb HDD with a NTFS file system (BTW the system can't mount the drive, says there's MFT issue)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 19:19:01 UTC 2012

On 15 June 2012 17:47,  <jimmckenzie at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Sorry for the long header.
>
> Let me just say this up front. I HATE COMMAND LINE INTERFACE! Having to this this way is not my first choice, it is my last.

Well, man up, then. :¬)

> The exact message (which I can't seem to cut and paste) basically says there is an issue with the MFT and that I need to run CHKDSK/F from Window$. That's not an option, I don't have anything MS makes nor do I want anything they make. I ditched them about 9 months ago and haven't missed them one damned bit.
>
> The external drive I'm trying to access is a Seagate GOFLEX 3TB USB my computer lists it as dev/sdb.
>
> I've tried going on line and have found tons of remarkably informative/unfortunately useless info. Reams actually.  The pages come in two categories, {1} they don't tell you much of anything {2} the info is more rambling than my posts to this list including this one.
>
> Please, can anyone help me here?
>
> As always, any all help will be appreciated.
>
> Thank You

*DO NOT TRY TO REPAIR AN ALIEN FILESYSTEM EXCEPT WITH NATIVE OS.*

You can use Linux for data recovery, sure, but if you want to fix a
Windows volume, USE WINDOWS.

You don't need to install it. A boot CD will do. There's a free one
for Windows 7, that will do nicely.

http://cybernetnews.com/windows-7-recovery-disc/

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884