Simple (web?) application for producing something like a bank statement - ideas?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jun 14 21:24:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 02:02:56PM -0400, Verde Denim wrote:
>    On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Chris Green <[1]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>      On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:39:39PM -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>      > >But I don't know how many entries there will be - do you know how
>      many
>      > >lines there will be on your bank statement next April?  :-)
>      >
>      > No, but you will when you have your bank statement in front of you.
>      > I actually do what you want to do, only I download my bank
>      > trasactions as a csv file and cut and paste them into my spreadsheet
>      > in one operation.
>      >
>      This isn't actually a bank reconcilitation, there's no place to copy the
>      transactions from.  It's a very simple income/expense account for
>      keeping horses, I want to *create* a bank statement like report by
>      entering money coming in and going out related to the horses.
>
>    I'd suggest building this as it seems to be a simple ledger program.  If

Exactly - it's a ledger, however searching for 'ledger' always produces
loads of high-powered accounting programs.

>    you can use something like Oo Base you could save a lot of time/resources.

Yes, I'm wondering if OpenOffice/LibreOffice will do what I want.

>    Otherwise, something like Python or Java would be useful for this and
>    would not be complicated to build. I seem to remember seeing something
>    like this for Linux years back, but not recently. You may try googling for
>    "ledger application" or single entry accounting ledger and see if that
>    gets you somewhat closer to what you're after. Sorry I couldn't be of more
>    help.

You have at least understood *exactly* what I want.  I suspect I may end
up writing something in Python.

--
Chris Green