Simple (web?) application for producing something like a bank statement - ideas?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jun 14 17:07:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:52:43AM -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 04:38 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >>
> >>a spreadsheet is probably the best solution.  If you enter the formula
> >>in the top cell of the running balance column yoiu can use the drag
> >>handle to automatically enter the appropriate formula in all the cells
> >>below it; you don't need to enter the formula in each cell manually.
> >>
> >But the cells aren't there below it until the 'next line' has been entered.
> >
> >I don't want a huge table of emptiness with just a few rows and columns
> >with data in them (as seems to be the norm with most Spreadsheet use I
> >have seen).
> >
> >When there are (say) eight debit/credit entries in my table I just want
> >to see eight rows in the spreadsheet with (probably) just three or four
> >columns.
>
> In that case turn off the display of grid lines so unused cells are
> not shown.  Then if you know how many entries you will have to make
> just copy your formula to that many lines.

But I don't know how many entries there will be - do you know how many
lines there will be on your bank statement next April?  :-)

> >If I understand you correctly you are saying one should copy the formula
> >for the running balance into the Balance column for lots of columns into
> >the future - is this right?
> >
> >Another issue is that the formula is *different* for the running balance
> >as you go down isn't it as it's the sum of all rows up to and including
> >the current row and the current row changes as you go down the table.  I
> >seem to remember there isn't an easy way to code this in most
> >spreadsheets.
> >

> The spreadsheet will change the formula to the correct one for you.
> Just select the last cell in your balance column and copy it to the
> clipboard.  Then select the cell immediately under that cell and
> drag it down the number of lines necessary to match the number of
> entries you will make.  Then set the spreadsheet to move one cell to
> the right when hitting the enter key.  When you have entered all the
> lines date hit down arrow then home and you will be at the start of
> a fresh line ready to enter more data.

I think you have just explained why I find a spreadsheet solution to
this rather 'uncomfortable'!  All those actions required just to add one
new entry?!?!?

--
Chris Green