Grub not installing when Xubuntu installs

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Wed Jun 13 17:15:08 UTC 2012

Ryan,

> I am an experienced Linux user ready to help you! I think what you have
> done with the boot loader should resolve your issue. I am not good with
> this part of the operating system, just with the graphical part :) I
> hope you are able to fix the issue!

I might be getting at the root of the problem.  I used super grub2 to
try to boot into the Linux installation.  It failed saying that
something was wrong in the installation.  I might have a bad
installation disk.  I used bit torrent to download and .iso file which
was then burned by Brasero.  Probably the install disk was corrupted
somewhere along the line.   The strange thing is that the installation
seemed to work OK.

Short story, I an downloading from a different source and trying the
installation again.  This time, I intend to look closely where grub
should go.  By the way, I checked my system BIOS and I can only boot
from the master hard drive, floppy drives  and other media but not the
slave HD. (Do computers still have floppy drives?  The computer I am
trying to reinstall certainly doesn't.)

Bill Stanley