Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 11 01:04:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:11:26 -0500
Albert Wagner <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:

> Do you have an installation
> of Kubuntu?  Did you click on the Muon Package Manager?  When you
> filtered with gtk you should have displayed most components that
> utilize one of the gtk tool kits, 2 or 3.  Not only are the gnome 3
> components there but also most gnome 2 components.  You should also
> have noticed the category in the left column "Gnome Desktop
> Environment".  As an exercise you might also filter for "gnome",
> "lxde" and "xfce".  Quite a lot of crap tucked in there under the
> name Kubuntu, eh?  Are you surprised to see "Gnome Desktop
> Environment"?

This is the only email on this thread I am going to address, and *only*
this aspect of it.

Gnome is a desktop environment. KDE is a desktop environment. LXDE,
XFCE are desktop environments.

You can run Gnome applications on KDE. You can run KDE applications on
Gnome (or under LXDE, or XFCE, for that matter). All that happens is the
pre-req libraries are also installed.

On Muon, Synaptics, apt-get, aptitude, whatever package manager you
use, if you have all the standard repositories enabled you will see
*ALL* that is available for Ubuntu. Whatever desktop environment. Or
console only. But this does not make KDE a Gnome
application/environment, or Gnome a KDE application/environment.

Cheers,

..C..

p.s. Now, please, can this thread die?