Error in installing wget

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 10 20:46:42 UTC 2012

On 10 June 2012 20:46, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> On 06/10/2012 02:24 PM, Harsha Natarajan wrote:
>> > Err http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main wget 1.11.4-2ubuntu1
>> >
>> >   404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.179 80]
>>
>> Jaunty has been out of support for a few years, and the packages are
>> no longer kept on the Ubuntu mirrors.  Even the upgrade path
>> (Karmic), is now gone, so you will have to do a complete new
>> install. Unless you know someone who kept their own archive mirror
>> of older Ubuntu repositories they could copy to you.
>>
>> Keep in mind that Ubuntu releases have a firm expiration date, and if
>> you really intend to keep one going for years without updating, you
>> need to stay with the LTS releases, (or keep your own mirror of the
>> repos)
>
> There is the old-releases server and from there you could in theory
> upgrade as well. But Jaunty would mean ->Karmix->Lucid->Precise and that
> is rather time consuming and I wouldn't try it. But for installing
> individual packages it shouldn't be a problem if it is more urgent than
> installing a supported release. To change to the old-releases server,
> change the file /etc/apt/sources.list and replace "archive.ubuntu.com"
> with "old-releases.ubuntu.com" and try again.

There are sometimes valid reasons for not upgrading.  For example I
have a Sheeva Plug running jaunty because support for the ARM chip in
the Sheeva was dropped after that.  Upgrade is therefore not an
option.  So I have in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main
restricted universe multiverse