Ubuntu 12.04 LTS removing unity and installing GNOME

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 10 01:29:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 08:30:21 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:39:06 -0400
> > Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:39:06 -0400
> > Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm very happy with Gnome Classic + Compiz + AWN.
> >
> > Since GNOME Classic is on the way out you might be interested
> > (sometime in the dim future) in my own setup of Xfce4, Compiz and
> > Cairo-dock. It's likely similar to what you have.
> >
> > Setting it up on Debian hasn't been too much of a strain.  ;-]
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
>
> I thought I heard that compiz may be unsupported.  If that's false,
> I'd like to know about your setup and how to achieve it.

I think you heard right for certain values of, "unsupported."  The main
comiz developer has apparently been hired by Canonical (hearsay, at
best, I may be very wrong (and hope that I am)) to work on the
compiz/Unity confluence. That might very well derail the further
development of compiz for other DEs and WMs unless someone else picks
up the torch and runs say, agate, alexandrite, amethyst, aquamarine,
berylline, bloodstone or etc. as a fork.

		;-]

OTOH, my current setup is Debian unstable (Sid) with:
compiz v. 0.8.4-5.2, compiz-core (same ver. and associated deps for the
rest), compiz-dev, compiz-gtk, compiz-plugins, libdecoration0,
libdecoration0-dev, compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported,
compiz-fusion-pluging-main, puthon-compizconfig,
compiz-fusion-plugins-extra, Compizconfig Settings Manager,
libcompizconfig0, compiz-fusion-bcop, compizconfig-backend-gconf, and
fusion-icon.

I use Emerald for my window decorator.

  I also run Cairo-Dock with OpenGL which, IIANM, has certain compiz
dependencies.

I use the 3D effects to the full advantage on my slightly older kit (7
years) with the proprietary nVidia graphics card driver enabled. It runs
just fine on my Xfce4 and LXDE.

I do hope my beloved 3D eye candy isn't going by the wayside; it
impresses the mundanes so flippin' much.

Linux has no market to share, isn't being bred to be some
company's cash cow, isn't answerable to anybody and is freely available
everywhere.  Linux doesn't need anybody, particularly anybody who
doesn't need Linux.
	Cybe R. Wizard
		Winduhs