deleting ~/Desktop directory FIXED!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 22:26:32 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 05:49 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 17:27 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> Still better than the windows "Contact your system administrator"
>>> Hello Me!
>>> Oh hi me, how can I help?
>>> I need to contact myself about this error...
>>
>> I'm getting old. There used to be a time you could brass-knuckles your
>> way around your own setup. You could hamfist it and smash it to
>> smithereens. Your choice. Now, deleting a directory has to pass muster
>> from some config file I had never heard of before. I do wonder if the
>> "old" way that had far less going on was better, and thus more secure by
>> virtue of fewer things happening that the user wasn't in control of?
>
> The number of people who want to intentionally delete their Desktop
> directory are a minute percentage of those who accidentally do so
> (actually you're the only person I've ever heard of wanting to do it).
>
>> From a support perspective it makes far more sense to cater to the
> majority.
>
> However it would be nice to get a dialog or something "are you sure you
> want to delete your Desktop folder".  Perhaps it's worth filing an
> enhancement request in Launchpad against (I imagine) Nautilus.
>
> I'm not saying that all the new complexity is a net gain: there's a
> serious price to be paid and it seems that the pace is only increasing.
> But I'm not sure this particular issue is a great example.

Well, I could do this quite easily in 11.10, as that is what I have
always done. Personal documents are safely kept on another partition
just in case something goes boom! and I have to re-install. I leave that
partition alone, reformat the entire / partition and re-install.
Then I re-mount my /opt partition and all of my /home/ric capitalized
directories are linked back to there. My home directory is back to it's
former glory. ~/Music ~/Videos ~/Documents all were deleted and
re-linked with a glitch. Only ~/Desktop refused my "treatment" and this
happens only in 12.04

Hence, my surprise. Ric

p/s I like using the hell out of /opt

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html